Friday, December 22, 2017

Merry Christmas.

I’ve been so disorganised in the spreading of ‘good cheer’ this Christmas, that I feel driven to write a blog post wishing all who visit a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. The workload at Westminster combined with Christmas Eve being Sunday has left so little time to prepare, send cards, buy presents etc.. And there were things  I just had to do - like funerals of old friends. So please forgive me if I’ve not finished my Christmas Card list.
At Christmas, we think of those less fortunate than ourselves more often than usual. My job brings me into contact with and knowledge of many across the world who suffer in appalling circumstances. The world may well be becoming a safer place overall, but the millions of refugees fleeing persecution in Syria, in North Africa, in Yemen and in Myanmar cannot be far from our minds as we celebrate the birth of Christ in relative peace in the UK.
And of course we have many less fortunate people at home in Britain as well - less fortunate for many varied reasons. Even though we will naturally focus our love and care on family and close friends, we cannot shut our eyes to those who do not have anyone to share their love with.
So let it be a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my family and friend. And a year of hope and recovery to come for those who are in a poor place.

No comments: