Monday, August 14, 2017

Political Questions laced with hot sun and Prosecco

Had Wales' foremost political journalist, David Williamson on the phone today asking about some of the  prosecco fuelled comments currently circulating about the state of the Conservative Party at present. First up was this new party that's going to be formed with the support of disaffected MPs from established parties. Next question was whether I think Jacob Rees-Mogg will be next Leader of the Conservative Party (and Prime Minister). Then there was whether I thought the UK would remain in the Single Market and Customs Union after leaving the EU. And then it was whether Donald Trump was interested in stepping down as the US Presidency to become a 'peace envoy' to North Korea.

Actually, I made up that last one, even if it is more likely than a new party be formed, named 'The Democrats' or whatever. It seems some un-named Cabinet members and ex-Cabinet members have been going around saying they are ready to jump into bed with a Mark Chapman to form a modern day SNP. I had not heard of Mr Chapman before. Personally I would rather believe Mrs Brown than an un-named 'source'. While over the last year or two, anything seems possible in the political world, I responded with "not a snowflake's chance in a sauna".

And then there's Jacob, who is an outstanding MP. He has a forensic mind, a special talent with words, and a thought process based on principle. And I like him. But I don't see him as our next Prime Minister. Don't think he does either. At least that's what I thought he wrote in today's Telegraph. But the newspaper clearly think Jacob is the man. Today's front page headline informs us that Jacob favours cutting Stamp Duty on houses. The reality is that you would find it difficult to find a Conservative who doesn't think that. And anyway, we have a very good Prime Minister already.

Then it was the inevitable search for Tory splits. Time to dust off the old debate about leaving the Single Market and Customs Union in 2019. Personally, I take the Hammond position. We will be leaving the European Union, leaving the Single Market and leaving the Customs Union. Full stop. Now I don't mind if there is a transition/implementation period, or how long it is (within reason). I just want the best deal for the UK and for the EU. And I'm fairly sure that everything I said is so predictable that it won't make it into the paper!!


No comments: