Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Maybe 'Remain' isn't so bad after all !!!

I usually use blog posts to write about complex issues, giving me the platform to write what I think without challenge, or to write a 'position statement' to which I can refer those who write or email me to ask my opinion or lobby about some issue. This blog post just involves the lifting of comment written by a writer I respect, giving what I find an interesting take on the UK's future post June 23rd. Lord William Hague's article in yesterday's Telegraph.

I've always thought of Lord Hague as Eurosceptic. I also know he is a committed 'Remain' advocate. In yesterday's Telegraph article he addressed how both sides should react to the referendum result. Both sides must accept the decision of the British people. Of course it won't be easy. For many Leave campaigners it will be the end of a dream based on freedom and democracy. If we vote 'Remain' on June 23rd, those dreams will turn to dust. But the result will have to be accepted.

When the referendum was first announced, I took what many thought an odd approach - that it would make little difference in the long term which way we vote. Either way, there will inevitably be treaty change to unify the economies of the Eurozone countries, creating a central EU core, and a two-speed EU. The UK would be in the slow lane. And if we were to leave the EU, we would have to negotiate agreement with our current EU partners giving us access to the single market - not that much different from being in the 'slow lane. Must admit, this theory secured no purchase whatsoever. So I've given up on it.

Anyway, here are quotes from Lord Hague's Telegraph article on what 'Remain' should mean if we vote for it. 
"changes should be built on an explicitly two-tier EU, using as a starting point the agreement by EU leaders in February that Britain is not committed to 'ever closer Union' and that the rights of non-Euro countries are protected".  
"the inner core of the EU should relax about Britain, the Nordic countries and any others being happier in an outer tier, but not part of it's more centralising ideas". "There should be a huge drive for more free trade with the rest of the world, a single market in products sold digitally, and a true single market in energy  to keep prices down and avoid dependence on Russia."

I read the article twice. Makes 'Remain' look a less demoralising prospect !!

No comments: