Sunday, May 30, 2010

Moving a rubber tree plant.

I was browsing through the ConservativeHome site this afternoon when I came upon its 'Hits and Misses' on the Tory target list for the 2010 General Election. And into the outer recesses of my mind wandered Frank Sinatra's relaxing voice, crooning the line "Everyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant". Of course an ant can't, but Frank's message was that the ant should not give up trying. I remember Sunderland beating Leeds in the Cup Final, when Ian Porterfield scored the winner. Sometimes crazy things happen.

If you scroll down, you'll see that I was no 210 on the Tory target list. If our team in Montgomeryshire had known just how hopeless a case we were, we may well have given up. Good job no-one told us how big of an ask it was. No-one else outside the the top 200 targets made it across the winning line. And some people ask me why I looked a bit taken aback to have won! And with a reasonable majority at that. "Woops, there goes another rubber tree plant".

No comments: