Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Lesson for Councillors

I've just read that in 1974, Bramber Parish Council decide to switch off its street lights for three days as a cost saving measure. Following the experiment, the Council Chair issued a press release announcing to the taxpayers of Bramber that there had been a saving of £11.59 on the Council's electricity bill. At the following meeting the Council Treasurer informed Councillors that it had cost £18.48 to switch the lights off, and £12.00 to switch them back on again.

3 comments:

The Half-Blood Welshman said...

The Book of Heroic Failures under "The Least Successful Saving", is that? As I recall it has the punchline "it had cost the council £18.89 to spend three days in darkness."

At least they are not suggesting closing your pest control unit, which is the bright idea of the (Conservative-led) Forest of Dean Council to save money...

Happy (if dark!) New Year!

Glyn Davies said...

Half Blood - I cannot believe that anyone else read the same page - but you did. I found the book when I was tidying up my office. Its years old

The Half-Blood Welshman said...

I know it well and love it to death - one of the most hilariously stupid books ever written!