Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Marquee Arrives

Been to the Royal Welsh Show today. Its an amazing event. The biggest drawback was the hastle getting in - waiting in the 'park and ride' area for a bus. After half an hour, and some moaning, it arrived. Seems that it was over an hour yesterday. The Show organisers will need to get this right by next year.

I went to the President's Lunch as a guest of the Renewable Energy Systems Group, RES, a member company of the Sir Robert McAlpine Group. Bearing in mind that I'm President of the most anti wind farm organisation in Wales, this may come as a surprise. It shouldn't do. I'm a pragmatic fellow. Despite all the protestations and arguments that I and the CPRW have put forward, the Assembly Government has decided to build huge numbers of wind turbines on the mountains of Wales. I don't like it, but I have concerned constituents (not sure if a mere candidate is allowed to so describe) who want to influence how these developments take place. For example, I was trying to persuade RES to 'spread the load' of the essential lorry movements associated with wind farm construction - reducing the potentially devastating impact on the town of Montgomery. I think I made some progress on this.

One stunning thing about the Royal Welsh is the number of marquees on the show field. And when I got home, another one had arrived in our own garden. This has really instilled the sense of panic that Saturday's wedding is finally upon us. Full blooded tidying up over the next three days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really pleased you got into the "president's lunch". Nice to see they recognise a person of quaility.