Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Losing Control.

Do you remember John Cleese thrashing and kicking his mini outside Fawlty Towers. It was funny because most of us get to feel like doing something similar from time to time. We can relate to how he felt. Must admit that I've kicked a lawnmower or two in my time - and hurled a chain saw into the ground when the b****y thing wouldn't start. I can feel my hackles rise again, just typing out the words. Oh, and I've also sacrificed a mobile phone and a pitching wedge on the alter of momentary satisfaction on the golf course. And it's only momentary. Just imagine what I might have done if I'd been born to nobility.

Well, the Honourable Linda Granville was so born. With my record, I don't feel well qualified to criticise the Honourable lady, but driving her Landrover at a farm gate, forcing the stable owner, Lynda Rankin to dive into a hedge to avoid being mown down was going too far - in my opinion. Especially when her fiancee raised a 'pair of nunchucks' above his head during the same incident. Some things only the well bred are capable of. I suppose its the inbreeding. The two were found guilty of criminal damage and threatening behaviour. All to be found on page 8 of today's Telegraph.

All this puts me in mind of Milton who used to work for us. He'd saved up to buy a 250cc Triumph. To this day its the only motor bike that I've ever ridden. Milton was very proud of his motor bike. Until one day it wouldn't start. So he took a hammer to it, smashed every smashable part of it and threw it over the hedge, - before stalking off, with flames pouring out of his nostrils. Actually there were not any real flames. And then was Julian, another friend who returned to his car parked on the side of the street in Welshpool, to find only one inch between himself and other cars both fore and rear. Understandably he was cross. So cross that he decided to have a go at getting out. The facts about what happened next remain in dispute, but unfortunately the magistrates found Julian guilty as charged. The word 'nudge' is a legal term which has always been open to interpretation. And then there was the time when I.......

8 comments:

Benny said...

hehe a very interesting post. My laptop has a few dints from the hammering it gets when it freezes without warning. argh! It's those little things!

Anonymous said...

It wasn't mini, it was an 1100.

Glyn Davies said...

Sorry anon. Mixing my images up. Basil Bean and Mr Fawlty.

Anonymous said...

Plenty of these "rage" incidents - I guess we have all felt the urge to thrash or yell out. But maybe it’s like my mother, who grew up in Bedwas, says, “Once you let yourself go you can’t stop”.

I remember reading about a very famous Baseball player who 'set about' a table in a locker room after a bad 'day at the office'.

So long as no real harm is done and 'so on'. But unfortunately today we see lots of ‘stupid stuff’ ‘going on’ over the dumbest trivial things; the recent spat of meaningless pointless youth stabbings being a case in point.

I remember a dreadful incident in London, a young man got into an argument with his landlord over unpaid utility bills - apparently the tenant did not pay an agreed share. So he was asked to leave, which he did, and later the tenant acquired an accelerant (probably petrol) and set a fire through the letter box. A whole family, who had recently moved in, died in the resulting fire – ‘a dreadful thing to happen’.

Anonymous said...

An 1100 Austin-35 Van? *LOL*

Anonymous said...

two guys were arrested this am for road rage at the Gabalfa interchange, sometimes temper is better controlled.

Anonymous said...

VM> apparently the arrest was for a road rage incident that occured at a different place.

Glyn Davies said...

anon and VM - I agree and I've made a big effort to train myself so that I do not lose my temper in the way I did when I was a young man. These days, when I feel the red mist descending I walk away.