Monday, June 30, 2008

Feeling the Pressure.

Now I'm really feeling the pressure. Superblogger, Iain Dale has told David Williamson of the Western Mail today, that his own favourite Welsh blog is this one. People will be now be visiting, and I don't want to let Iain down. I wish I'd known this morning. I'd have walked the streets of Newtown and Welshpool - with an air of grandeur about me. I'd have taken a pen so that I could sign the inevitable autographs. (Oh how I'd like to be in a position to resent signing autographs). I'd have noticed the people pointing at me, and mouthing silently "That's him, Dale's favourite". Maybe tomorrow.

And Iain also likes Peter Black's blog, because he doesn't just churn out a 'party line' that favours his own party. So I'll try to please Iain by posting something helpful to Peter's party, the Liberal Democrats - an extract from a letter that Lembit Opik and Mick Bates have been circulating around Welshpool today. A few of them have been delivered in my office by the recipients. So I'll help spread the message. The third paragraph reads (and this is precise);

"I am organising a public meeting in Welshpool Town Hall on Monday June 30 at 10.30am which you are more than welcome to attend, wether you have any problems with your own pension or not. I am keen to hear the views of those of you with your own problems, as well as those of you who don't."

Perhaps he had been to Welshopool Market today, where wethers are occasionally sold. For those of you who don't know, a wether is a castrated male sheep. Which reminds me of the farmer who had taken his prize ram, for which he had paid a small fortune to the vet because he did not seem to have the proper degree of enthusiasm for the duties for which he had been purchased. The vet informed the farmer that unfortunately the ram was impotent. As driving home, he passed one of his neighbours, and wound down his Landrover window for a chat. "Nice weather" said his neighbour. "He bloody well will be as soon as I get him home" was the reply.

6 comments:

Dr. Christopher Wood said...

"Fair dooze" ... Iaine Dale should like your blog. It's the best Welsh blog! Peter has a "fair dooze" one too.

'Wether not' your blog is shirely the fairest of them all.

Anonymous said...

He mentioned mine as one of his daily reads along with ORds and Miss Wagstaff.

I think may be I should dress more appropriatley when I blog from now on lol

Frank Little said...

I can't see the link between Lembit and an impotent dumb animal. ;-)

Anonymous said...

He likes your blog, not just because it's interesting, but, just like others in the know, he realises the seat is winnable. LO is a joke, locally and in Westminster. There are lots of peole keeping an eye on your blog because of this. Including the Libido-dems......

Anonymous said...

Relax, kick back, sip a beer, watch your favourite show, and while you are smoldering in relaxed contentment ...

... someone could slip "UNDER PRESSURE" by QUEEN ... on your CD player at full blast.

Glyn Davies said...

Chris - very kind.

VM - Quite right too. Did he mention NM, who is always worth a read, if only to disagree!

Frank - a astute observation.

anon - I too reckoon that I've got a chance, and I know that I have to be careful about what I post - the thought police are watching.

anon 2 - For some reason I'm more Freddie Magreggor than Freddie Mercury, even though I acknowledge his brilliance.