Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Welsh Premier.

This blog is going to cover the Welsh Premier League this season. I've lost my AM advertising hoardings on the pitches of my 4 local clubs - so I hope to do my bit to promote more interest through my blog. This weekend was the big kick-off - and it started Friday night with what may turn out to be the shock of the season. Absolutely no-one would have expected The New Saints to lose to Newi Cefn Druids - but they did 1-0. This is the equivalent of Derby stuffing Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Rhyl, with victory over Carmarthen and Llanelli, with an impressive 3-0 win over my local club Welshpool will now be fancying their chances of lowering the TNS banner this season.

Newtown made a promising start, holding strong Bangor City at Latham Park. Newtown new boy, Marc Lloyd- Williams scored both Newtown goals. He has scored goals wherever he's played and should keep Newtown out of relegation trouble. I was sorry that one of the relegation favorites, Caersws lost narrowly at home. They played well by all accounts. I've always had a soft spot for the village team and I hope they can survive post Micky Evans.

Mixed fortunes for the League new boys, Neath being impressive in defeating Porthmadog on their own ground. Not such a good start for Llangefni though - going down at home to Connahs Quay. I'm hoping to get to see a few games this season.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann Jones, the assembly member who controls the rhyl midfield is already celebrating after the tns result

Glyn Davies said...

Shouldn't judge after one game though. Alex Ferguson should be sacked for being a rubbish manager - only 2 points in 3 games! Not good enough.

I jest - but it does look as if losing the first two games may have cost Martin Jol his job at Spurs.

Garenig said...

I was considering asking you re your Welsh Premier club after you described Shrewsbury as your local team.
What kind of news service re the Premier and Cymru Alliance do you receive on the local radio channels in Maldwyn and Radio Wales? Does anyone in your team monitor and act if the level of service re the top tiers is poor?

Glyn Davies said...

garedig - Shrewsbury is my 'local' Football League team - as opposed to Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham. And I am taking a particulat interest in Wolves (which is also relatively local) since Steve Morgan bought the club.

I have 4 Welsh Premier League 'local' teams that I support - and have done for years. I have always admired what Mike Harris has done at TNS, I live 5 miles from the Welshpool ground, I have been involved in Newtown, and I have a great 'underdog' sympathy for Caersws. I could not choose between them - even before I became the candidate for Montgomeryshire.

I take the results from the BBC internet site - but I hope to arrange for club supporters to let me know the results as the games finish.