Friday, April 06, 2007

Buying a Donkey

An old Welsh farmer sold a donkey to a young lad named Gordon for £100. But when he delivered the donkey next day, the poor animal had died in the lorry.

Gordon said "In that case, I'll have my money back."

The old farmer replied "I can't repay you, because I have already spent the money."

Gordon said "OK then, just unload the donkey."

The old farmer asked "What are you going to do with it?"

Gordon answered "I am going to raffle it off."

The old farmer exclaimed "You can't raffle off a dead donkey."

Gordon, with a wicked smile on his face said "Oh yes I can. I just won't tell anyone that it's dead."

The old farmer went home, and when he met Gordon a few weeks later he asked "Whatever happened with that dead donkey?"

Gordon said "I raffled it off. I sold 500 tickets at £2 a ticket, and made a nice juicy profit.

The amazed old farmer said "Didn't anyone complain that you had stolen their money because you didn't tell them it was dead?"

To which Gordon replied "The only guy who found out that the donkey was dead was the raffle winner when he came to claim his prize. So I gave him his £2 back, plus another £200 which as you know is double the going rate for a donkey, so he thought I was a really great guy."

Gordon grew up and eventually become Chancellor of the Exchequer, and no matter how many times he lied, or how much money he stole from the British voters, as long as he gave them back some of the stolen money, most of them still thought he was a really great guy.

The moral of this story is that if you think Gordon is about to play fair and do something for the everyday people of this country for once in his miserable dissembling life, think again my friend, because you would be better off flogging a dead donkey.

Thats another way of looking at last month's budget.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that, thanks.

Martin Eaglestone said...

No, a long read for not too much return Glyn.

Perhaps a reference to whether the donkey enjoyed a winter fuel allowance, record increase in child benefit, child trust fund, overseas development budget might have helped !

Glyn Davies said...

Sorry Martin - but I just enjoyed it. And anyway, my son sent it to me and asked me to.

Alwyn ap Huw said...

Martin Eaglestone said...
No, a long read for not too much return Glyn.

Appropriately like the budget speech it was taking the P out of then!